1.27.2010

@StateOfTheUnion: The President and Twitter

"America prevailed because we chose to move forward as one nation. Again, we are tested. And again we must answer history's call"
"It is because of the spirit and resilience of Americans that I have never been more hopeful about America's future than I am tonight"
"The bank bailout was about as popular as a root canal. But I promised I wouldn't just do what was popular- I would do what was necessary."
"People are out of work. They are hurting. They need our help. And I want a jobs bill on my desk without delay."
"Because of the Recovery Act, there are about two million Americans working right now who would otherwise be unemployed."
"We can't allow financial institutions, including those that take your deposits, to take risks that threaten the whole economy."
"All of our men and women in uniform around the world must know that they have our respect, our gratitude, and our full support."
"I never said change would be easy. When you try to do big things & make big changes it stirs passions &controversy- that's just how it is."

A 7,137 word speech, reduced to a eight sound bytes totaling 185 words. 2.6% of the speech was delivered to the people who decided not to tune into the address, but receive 140 character messages to their mobile device as not to interrupt whatever other important activity they had to do. While I agree The State of the Union can be a little tedious to watch (Obama: "My fellow Americans-" Cue entire democratic side 3 minute standing ovation and the entire republican side scowl, sink back in their seats, and shake their head/text. Repeat at least 55+ more times), I think it is a shame this is all some people are getting. The State of the Union isn't something we should take for granted. It is the president clearly stating what he wants to do and his take on the current political environment of Washington. Even if you don't support Obama, at least listen to what he says in order to legitimately back up your claims.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here! (Also: SIGN YOUR NAME)