11.18.2009

My Name is Karis and I've Been Abused By The Chicago Wind

I apologize I haven't written in an unfortunately long time, but alas that honeymoon stage of classes in the morning, going downtown for a couple of hours, playing soccer for an hour or two, then staying up until 3 am working on homework and watching Hulu is now over, and the unfortunate realization that the "Just Because This Is College Does Not Mean I Am Invincible" thing has slapped me in the face and homework, coffee, and sleep have become my three occupations.

But now I'm back! Well, at least for an hour or so. Actually I shouldn't even be writing now because I have a Modern East Asia paper on the Red Guards to research, however the urge to write seems to strike me at these inopportune times. For example, when I wrote "The Stacks" it chomped an hour chunk out of the countdown to my 2:15 pm Brit Lit class for which I was writing a 5 page essay on Utopia. Of course I started at 11 pm and of course I would have a horrifying encounter with the Cudahy Tomb (I mean Library, ahem) that had to be immediately documented...

But in my defense, being in the IC for long periods of time makes me notice the little things. Like, for example, the 3rd floor silent study area is not silent in the least. Typing keys are extremely loud and distracting to people who are, say, looking for distractions from reading "The Rape of the Lock" (Not that we're being specific to any one person...). Also, there are small sections of the ceiling lights that are burnt out. Ordinarily this wouldn't be something to contemplate, but because the IC is so environmentally friendly, it scares me that it is falling out of repair. How long will it take for that lightbulb to biodegrade? Will it just disintegrate in a couple of days and a blob of organic matter will fall upon some unsuspecting student? I think if they let the IC go it would probably gently decompose and turn into a lush prairie filled with indigenous Illinois plant species throughout the course of finals week. Though I would miss those big windows and comfortable chairs, I suppose a prairie is probably the most environmentally friendly study space you can get. Wouldn't be too much fun in the winter though...

Speaking of weather, the Chicago wind and I have definitely moved past the honeymoon stage. In fact we are into the sleeping in separate beds while our divorce papers are filed and the custody battle for the dog begins stage. The other day it was predicted to be 50 degrees, and to my according to my Minnesota weather scale this means: Take Advantage Of The Warm Weather By Wearing A Cute Dress Because Pretty Soon Sundress Season Will Be A Myth Of The Past. So light sundress, jacket, scarf, and leg warmers it was. At first I felt confident in my outfit choice: I bounced down the stairs of Mertz, keeping rhythm with whatever Avett Brothers tune blasted in my headphones. As I started on the sidewalk toward the el, I felt a strong breeze pushing me forward. "Well Good Morning to you too, Chicago Wind!" I happily replied in my head. Suddenly the strong breeze died down then playfully switched to blowing against me, tousling my hair in the process. "Oh you're a tricky one Mr. Wind," I thought. "But I accept your challenge!" And I bent my head and continued to the crosswalk. The walk sign flashed and I went to step off the curb. The second my foot touched the pavement, out of nowhere, that "playful" Chicago Wind begins whipping around my bare legs and created an upward gust that made my sundress billow and bubble scandalously close to exposing more than I would ever like the people who hang out on Sheridan by the McDonalds to see. Shocked, I tried to control my dress with one hand while juggling my Red Eye, thermos, and UPass in the other, and I half sprinted into the safety of the wind free CTA station.
A strange feeling came over me. I felt...abused, by weather.
Environmental abuse is usually seen as humans against nature, but this time it was the other way around. It was like the wind was one of those creepy guys at a party: they seem normal until they randomly start grinding on you when no one else is dancing. No thanks.
When did the Windy City turn so aggressive? Later, I was coming back from the post office and had a package and three letters. Right as I was about to walk into my building, I briefly let the letters I was carrying rest on top of the package and immediately they were snatched off and scattered across the quad. I bent down to pick up each letter and was nearly blown over by the relentless gusts- I felt like a teased seventh grader picking up her papers off the hallway floor as the bully stands and laughs. It seemed the wind was trying to teach me a lesson- nature is bigger and better than you. Don't forget it.
And this is only the beginning; it hasn't even snowed yet. Looks like this winter is going to be more of the dreaded climb up the hill rather than the five second sled ride down.

What about you? Had an experience with wind getting frisky? Slapping rain? Leave me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here! (Also: SIGN YOUR NAME)